The paving you choose for the interior and exterior of your home is an important and difficult decision. You want to be able to choose the type of paving that will not only make your garden look beautiful but will also be long-lasting and durable for any type of environment.
The Ideal Paving for You
One of the best things about shopping for paving is that there is a huge variety to choose from. The most popular types of paving are Sandstone Paving and Porcelain Paving. The type of paving you choose to go with for your home is solely dependent on the look and aesthetic you want to achieve for your garden.
Sandstone Paving are naturally formed slabs that are formed in stone quarries in India. Because these stones are developed naturally, they are always unique and one-of-a-kind with the colours and patterns differing.
Sandstone Paving is a great option for those who enjoy a more classic and vintage look for their garden. These garden paving stones are an excellent choice for both front and back gardens, but also for poolsides, alfresco dining areas and patios. Sandstone Paving tends to look especially beautiful around period properties because of their textured and rustic look, which tend to give off a more classic and antiquated look.
Benefit of Sandstone Paving
- Thse paving slabs change colour slightly when wet, looking extra shiny and glossy
- There will also be changes in the colour over time developing lighter shades
- The natural stones are porous and permeable, meaning they are better at absorbing water, making them useful for flood prevention.
- Umbra Sandstone Paving, also known as Kandla Grey Paving, is our best-selling natural paving. With grey being the most popular colour for interior and exterior designs for the last five years, this makes Umbra Grey Paving a top choice for garden patios. Consisting of various shades of grey, this paving suites any garden setting
- Fossil Sandstone Paving, also referred to as Golden Fossil or Fossil Mint is one of our most well-received paving slabs, especially among those who enjoy more muted and warm tones. If you own a period property or want to achieve a similar tone, the Fossil paving is an ideal choice both for back gardens and front pathways.
- Buff Blend Sandstone Paving, also termed in a variety of different titles: Rippon Buff, Buff, Buff Classic, Harvest, Country Buff, Buff Brown; are one of most popular Sandstone Paving slabs. They are an excellent option for those who enjoy softer shades of light brown and beige, which adds depth and cosiness to your surroundings. With the shades deepening slightly when wet, these natural stones look beautiful no matter the weather.
If you would like to explore a more cost-effective paving option then we would suggest Limestone Paving. Similar to Sandstone Paving, they derive from Indian stone quarries naturally.
Limestone is slightly more brittle than Sandstone but don't let that deter you, because once laid, both Sandstone and Limestone have the same, high durability.
Keep in mind that Limestone will fade over time. Therefore, to keep the fading at bay as long as possible to help maintain its original colour as long as possible, sealing is required.
We provide many different varieties for both Limestone and Sandstone Paving. Limestone Paving is available in Square and Weathered.
Porcelain Paving is the ideal garden paving choice for those who want to create a modern and contemporary aesthetic for their patio. This type of paving is manufactured, meaning they are man-made as opposed to being naturally quarried. Therefore, due to the nature of the material, Porcelain Paving is available in a variety of colours and finishes – giving buyers a huge range of options to choose from, to create the ideal garden.
Porcelain pavers are an excellent choice of garden paving as they instantly add modernity and elegance to your garden. They will make your surroundings look beautiful no matter whether you want to deck out your back garden or want to create an attention-grabbing driveway. As we mentioned earlier, Porcelain does come in a wide range of colours, this means you can find the exact shade of colour that will best suit the vibe you’re looking to achieve.
Unlike Sandstone Paving, Porcelain is able to retain its colour and finish for much longer due to the way it has been manufactured. Consequently, you can rest assured that there won’t be any weathering or discolouration that will occur on your paving for a very long time. If maintained properly your paving should be looking smooth and shiny for the foreseeable future
Benefits of Porcelain Paving
- Can be used as indoor flooring tiles
- Resistant to mould, moss and frost
- Needs very little maintenance, it will stand the test of time
- Made from high quality pure clays and minerals such as Quartz, fired at 1200 degrees Celsius, via vitrification
Our Sienna Porcelain Paving range is premium quality paving at an affordable price. The Sienna range is made from high quality pure clays and minerals such as Quartz via vitrification, meaning that you are getting the best quality paving slabs.
Here at Stone Zone we supply a wide range of Porcelain Paving at various different price points so you are able to find the perfect paving no matter what your budget. As mentioned above we have the affordable but premium Sienna range; in the mid-range prices we have Quartz, Manhattan, Leonardo and Volcano paving slabs and finally, we supply the top of the range Spectrum Porcelain Paving for those with a larger budget.
How to Maintain Your Paving
- Regular Brushing – If you are able to just give your garden paving a brushing, little and often, will be very beneficial for not only keeping dirt and debris away, but will also prevent seed germination, which means, no weeds!
- Jet washing – We strongly suggest that you jet wash your paving twice a year to maintain it’s colour, texture and general longevity.
- Frequent weeding – If by any chance you have large gaps or spaces between your paving stones, there is a high chance that weed will grow out between the paving, to prevent any overgrowth, we suggest you weed your garden and paving frequently to keep everything fresh and neat.
- Fill joints – Jointing is vital for keeping your paving slabs stable and uniform. But they also need to be maintained – especially when you weed your paving, it may damage the jointing, and it order to reduce the damage as much as possible, using a jointing stabiliser helps bind together sand particles to slow down erosion.
- Seal paving joints - patio sealers prevent moisture from seeping in and damaging concrete or stone pavement. You’ll still have to clean regularly, and you will need to reapply the sealing every few years, based on the manufacturer's recommendations.
With the jointing and sealing, you are able to purchase in the colour that suits your paving best. Visit our Paving Accessories page to find the appropriate product for your paving plus more maintenance products, such as stain removers and cleaners.
As you can see, maintaining your paving is not a difficult process, but if you are willing to take certain steps you will be ensuring that your garden is as durable and enduring as possible.
Here at Stone Zone, we guarantee to beat the price of any other local paving suppliers, so you can rest assured that you are getting the best quality paving at the best price.
Click HERE to view all of our Sandstone and Limestone Paving
The best way to gauge the colours and finishes of paving is to see them face to face, if you are able to, please visit one of our depots, based in Bournemouth, Ferndown and Dorchester, so you can figure out what will look best for your garden. Furthermore, if you had any questions, you will also be able to chat with our customer service advisors.