Wessex® Peat Free Multi-Purpose Compost
Our best-selling Wessex® Peat Free Multi-Purpose nutrient-rich, reduced-peat compost is perfect for cuttings, rooting and planters. This multi-purpose compost is ideal for use as a general growth medium, particularly for grass, vegetables and herbs.
The material improves the quality of soil by developing soil structure and increasing water retention. Multi-Purpose compost is nutrient-rich, an excellent source of organic matter and helps plants to establish themselves quickly. The product is easy to use and requires little maintenance. Used regularly in potting and seed trays, the material is a great option for fledgling plants and seedlings.
As a result of the testing and screening, the Compost has to go through, it is accredited by the Soil Association. The Wessex® Composts have been derived from organic waste which is then composted down and compressed until they are the desired size, which is when the soil is screened. All these steps are taken to ensure that any unwanted dirt and debris is sifted away.
Our Peat Free Multi-Purpose Compost is one of the products from our Eco-Friendly range. It has been labelled so because they have a low amount of carbon footprint - as they are produced locally and therefore do not get transported far to reach our warehouse. It is also important to note, that the compost contacts recycled material and no virgin greenery.
What our Wessex® Peat Free Multi-Purpose Compost is great for
This highly popular Compost is well known for disintegrating and breaking down heavy soils, which enables the soil to absorb nutrients and water evenly across the entire area. This results in the best environment for growth.
The Peat Free Multi-Purpose compost adds natural, healthy nutrients to your soil which will promote consistent growth and produce lovely flowers. The nutrients these compost releases are a slow-acting, environmentally friendly way of keeping your plant beds healthy.
Wessex® Soil Improver Compost also helps with soil structure & fertility for common planting trees and shrubs. Do keep in mind that this compost is not suitable to use as a growing soil, a supplement for planting acid-loving species or as a top dressing for turf.
- Input materials: Biodegradable green plant & tissue matter
- Particle Size Distribution: >100% passing a 7.0mm screen >90% passing a 4.0mm screen >50% passing a 1.0mm screen
- Bulk Density: 500 – 600 g/litre
- Moisture Content: 35% m/m
- Dry Matter: 65% m/m
- Organic Matter: (as loss recognition) 25% of the dry matter
- PH: 7.5 – 8.5
- Electrical Conductivity: 400µS/cm
- Purity: Substantially free of physical contaminants, viable weed seeds and pathogens.
- Potentially Toxic Elements: Within acceptable limits (“Heavy Metals”)
- Certification: PAS100 & the Compost Quality Protocol, in which this quality compost was produced in compliance with the Compliance Quality Protocol
What is PAS 100 Compost?
Our Wessex® Soil Improver Compost is largely composed of the PAS 100 Green Compost. This Compost is in the mixture of all the soils in the Wessex® range but varies in quantity.
You can rest assured that this PAS 100 Green Compost is completely recycled through organic waste collated from gardeners and landscapers. This then moves on to mulching and composting. All these processes are all done within the Dorset area.
As a result of this product being naturally occuring through a recycling system, and therefore no virgin greenery is wasted to be solely used for the compost. our Compost is 100% peat-free.
The Publicly Available Specification that it has been awarded, is a widely recognised compost quality standard within the organics recycling sector.
To ensure a high standard of compost, PAS is set by the British Standards Institution that requires producers to establish a top-quality production policy.
This product status is given in recognition of non-hazardous waste that contains biodegradable materials only, making it safe to use in both domestic and commercial settings.
What does BS3882 mean?
The British Standard 3882 certification for topsoil has been invented to ensure a consistent level of top performance; a standard set out by the British Standards Institute. This standard is the updated version of the 1994 originally set out.
BS3882 is measured on three components: Soil Structure and Classification, Free-from Contamination and Fertility. BS3882 topsoil suppliers are also able to provide results of the soil analysis which includes the origin of the soil, the contamination parameters and written confirmation that the soil complies with the standard BS3882:2007.
All of the Stone Zone & Landscaping Centre's soil contains BS3882 Soil for multi-purpose use, ideal for all gardening and landscaping applications.
How to Buy Wessex® Peat Free Multi-Purpose Compost
This soil can be collected for free at one of our depots in Wimborne, Bournemouth or Dorchester, or our garden soils can be delivered nationally to anywhere in the UK. We also offer samples of our soil in-store.
You can use our Soil Calculator to work out how much of this soil you need - simply enter the measurements of your garden, the depth at which you want to lay the stone and it will work out how much you need!
Available Pack Sizes
850kg bulk bags (contains approx. 0.6m3)
We can also deliver our soils as loose, tipped loads, as opposed to being in bags. Please call our friendly team on 01202 874207 if you require this service.
PLEASE NOTE: While every effort has been made to ensure our soils are free from contamination; there is always the chance that there may be small pieces of debris present. Please ensure you handle the soil with care when using it.
Buy With Confidence
- Our Wessex® Peat Free Multi-Purpose Compost can be purchased in bulk bags that weigh approx. 850kg or as loose tonnes
- Not sure how much you need? Use our quantity calculator and enter your garden width and length to find out how many maxi bags/bulk bags you need!
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add to your basket
- Our Soils & Mulches will either arrive on a hiab lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample Soil is available in-store, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service you can Rely on
You don't need to be there for delivery; if you're happy to do so, our delivery drivers can deliver bulk bags to your front garden without a signature.
Alternatively, our experienced drivers can operate their lorries to deliver bulk bags over fences at the front, side or back of your property, you will need to be present for this delivery type.
Please let us know if there are any access difficulties to your road or property. If your property has very tight access and we need to use a small lorry, a surcharge of £30 + vat will apply.
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.