Wessex® Soil Improver Compost
If you're looking to plant an entire bed of plants or vegetables, but are worried that the soil you currently have isn't quite up to standard, our Wessex® Soil Improver Compost is a great addition to most basic soils to give it that nutrient boost it needs to give your plants the best chances of establishing strong roots.
You can also scatter this Wessex® Soil Improver Compost onto current plant beds and vegetable crops. The benefits of this peat-free Compost are that a little bit goes a long way, and is very friable, meaning it's really nice and easy to work with.
Due to the vigorous process this popular Compost goes through, it is high quality and Soil Association-approved. This Compost has been made from recycled green waste and then composted down, finished to a 10mm particle size after it has been screened. This important process also eliminates unwanted pieces of debris.
Our Soil Improver Compost is part of our Eco-Friendly range due to its low carbon footprint through local, sustainably sourced suppliers, as well as the fact that it is made from recycled green waste - never virgin greenery, making it 100% peat-free!
What our Wessex® Soil Improver Compost is great for
This top-rated Compost is renowned for breaking up heavy soils, allowing both nutrients and water to be absorbed evenly across the soil for the best chances of optimal and consistent growth.
This 10mm Compost also adds natural, organic matter to your soil which is vital for steady growth or large blooms of flowers. This organic matter helps to slowly release nutrients in a suitable and environmentally friendly manner.
Wessex® Soil Improver Compost also improves soil structure & fertility for regularly planting trees and shrubs. Please note that this compost is not designed for use as a growing medium, a medium for planting acid-loving species or as a top dressing for turf.
If you are looking for more options, you may want to consider our Peat Free Multipurpose Compost. As the name suggests this Compost (as with all our soils) has no peat in the mixture and is ideal for a wide range of garden projects.
- Input materials: Biodegradable green plant & tissue matter
- Particle Size Distribution: >100% passing a 7.0mm screen >90% passing a 4.0mm screen >50% passing a 1.0mm screen
- Bulk Density: 500 – 600 g/litre
- Moisture Content: 35% m/m
- Dry Matter: 65% m/m
- Organic Matter: (as loss recognition) 25% of the dry matter
- PH: 7.5 – 8.5
- Electrical Conductivity: 400µS/cm
- Purity: Substantially free of physical contaminants, viable weed seeds and pathogens.
- Potentially Toxic Elements: Within acceptable limits (“Heavy Metals”)
- Certification: PAS100 & the Compost Quality Protocol, in which this quality compost was produced in compliance with the Compliance Quality Protocol
What is PAS 100 Compost?
PAS 100 Green Compost is what makes up most of our Wessex® Soil Improver Compost. This compost is present in all of our Wessex Soils, just in different quantities.
You can be reassured that this PAS 100 Green Compost is fully recycled through green waste collected from gardeners and landscapers. The process then involves mulching and composting, which happens locally on the same site in Dorset.
Due to this product being naturally available through a recycling scheme, and never cut down from virgin greenery, our Compost is 100% peat-free.
The Publicly Available Specification that it has been awarded, is a widely recognised compost quality standard within the organics recycling sector.
To ensure a high standard of compost, PAS is set by the British Standards Institution which requires producers to establish a top-quality production policy.
This product status is given in recognition of non-hazardous waste that contains biodegradable materials only, making it safe to use in both domestic and commercial settings.
What does BS3882 mean?
The British Standard 3882 certification for topsoil has been invented to ensure a consistent level of top performance; a standard set out by the British Standards Institute. This standard is the updated version of the 1994 originally set out.
BS3882 is measured on three components: Soil Structure and Classification, Free-from Contamination and Fertility. BS3882 topsoil suppliers are also able to provide results of the soil analysis which includes the origin of the soil, the contamination parameters and written confirmation that the soil complies with the standard BS3882:2007.
All of the Stone Zone & Landscaping Centre's soil contains BS3882 Soil for multi-purpose use, ideal for all gardening and landscaping applications.
How to Buy Wessex® Soil Improver Compost
850kg bulk bags (contains approx. 0.6m3)
This soil can be collected at one of our depots in Wimborne, Bournemouth or Dorchester, or our garden soils can be delivered nationally to anywhere in the UK. We also offer samples of our soil in-store.
We can also deliver our soils as loose, tipped loads, as opposed to being in bags. Please call our friendly team on 01202 874207 if you require this service.
PLEASE NOTE: While every effort has been made to ensure our soils are free from contamination; there is always the chance that there may be small pieces of debris present. Please ensure you handle the soil with care when using it.
Buy With Confidence
- Our Wessex® 10mm Top Dressing can be purchased as a bulk bag that contains approximately 0.3m3
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add it to your basket
- Our Soils and mulches will either arrive on a HIAB lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose a free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample Soil is available in-store, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service Tailored to You
Our top-rated delivery service is reliable and flexible to suit you, however, it can vary depending on where you live. Click here for more information on our delivery service and if your postcode is classed as 'local' or 'national.'
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.