40mm Blue Slate
The 40mm Blue Slate that we stock in Stone Zone, is a much-loved product amongst landscapers and homeowners alike, for good reason. Even within our ever-growing range of Decorative Stones, the 40mm Blue Slate stands out over others due to its deep eye-catching colour and larger size. As with many of our decorative stones, the colour truly blooms when they are damp, allowing the colours to shine and look extra special. Don't mistake the Blue Slates as substitutes for pebbles and chippings. The slate rockery is different as they are a flatter shape and bigger in size.
Our Blue Slate, along with all the other slate rockery we supply has been quarried from North Wales. As a result of their bigger size, at 40mm, these stones are a great option if you want to create new feature areas in your garden or if you want to decorate a feature you already have. As we have stated earlier, these stones take on a new life when wet, and therefore make great additions to fountains and water features. Furthermore, if you already have or wish to have a fish pond, you can use our 40mm, Blue Slate, to decorate them with our Slate rockery is fish friendly.
40mm Blue Slate for Your Garden
If you want to re-decorate your garden without spending too much time and effort on it, the 40mm Plum Slate is your best bet. You can easily brighten up your garden are excellent if you want too more colours and shades to your garden. You will instantly notice a difference in your surroundings as your garden will look more textured and colourful.
As we have stated in the name, the Blue Slate is all roughly 40mm in size and therefore is the perfect size for decorative garden features. However, do keep in mind that these stones cannot be used to create driveways and pathways because they are neither the correct shape nor size and will not create a stable base for walking or driving on. That does not mean you cannot use these stones in other areas of your garden, either the front garden or the back garden. These stones are versatile in that you can lay them on a wide variety of surfaces such as paving, real turf and artificial grass.
Decorating your front garden couldn't be easier with the 40mm Blue Slate. If you are someone who does not have much free time to put into tending a garden and don't want to waste your time maintaining your garden when you do, then slate rockery is a great option. You will be able to achieve an aesthetically pleasing look for your front garden without pulling out all the bells and whistles. To create a feature area in your front garden, an area where you can guarantee there will be no footfall, you can very easily purchase some weed fabric and lay the slates on top. This will enable you to have a clean-looking feature area that is both colourful and not riddled with weeds.
40mm Blue Slate for a Garden Pond
Garden Ponds can make a garden seem more peaceful and tranquil, however, if yours needs a little TLC and is showing signs of age, maybe consider reinvigorating it with the Blue Slate decorative stones. Adding these dark blue stones to decorate your pond with will make it seem chic and brand new. This is a cost-effective way to maintain a garden pond as getting rid of it would be much more of a hassle. Plus, because these stones will be in and around water constantly, you will be able to appreciate their rich colours.
The Blue Slates are lime-free, meaning they are completely safe to use around fish and other wildlife that may visit your garden. You can use the Blue Slate along with other decorative stones to create a step/tiers effect in your garden pond that will surely impress all your friends and family.
How to Buy 40mm, Blue Slate
This stone can be collected for free at one of our depots in Wimborne, Bournemouth or Dorchester, or these garden stones can be delivered nationally to anywhere in the UK.
You can use our Stone Calculator to work out how much of this stone you need - simply enter the measurements of your garden, the depth at which you want to lay the stone and it will work out how much you need!
Available Pack Sizes
20kg maxi bags
850kg bulk bags
How to Create a Garden Pond
If you want to design a modern, sleek garden water feature that will be a focal point in your garden without much effort being put in, or if you are looking to have a picturesque, vintage pond that will be an excellent space to gather with your friends and family, we have a helpful list filled with tips and tricks! It is a low-cost and simple project and can be achieved by those who don't have much DIY experience.
1. To start, you will have to create a basic plan for your garden to designate an area where your pond will go. You must be careful and take certain criteria into consideration before deciding on the final spot. If you want to place your pond underneath the tree, you have to be prepared to constantly clean your pond and rid them of any fallen leaves and debris, this can be a time-consuming job. In our opinion, the optimal place for a pond would a shaded spot that only gets a little bit of sunlight so the water will stay at a cool temperature.
2. Once the placement of the pond has been decided, the next step is to figure out how big and deep you want the pond to be and whether you want it on a surface level. If you have chosen to have a pond that will be on the surface then plastic ponds will be more than enough for the job, they are both affordable and easy to find. Once you have purchased or upcycled the 'pond', place it where you want it to go and spray paint around it so you have the area mapped out exactly. On the other hand, if you have chosen for your pond to be on higher ground, then your best option would be to use sleepers that have been lined with geo-fabric.
3. For a ground-level pond, use a spade to dig out the exact area to the correct depth. We advise you to use Scalpings which will allow you to fill up any gaps that may be left.
4. Now comes the best part, you can add water to the pond! Solar-powered water pumps are a popular option to create a more effective water feature, with constant flowing water. Everyone loves a water fountain.
5. The last step is to design your garden to make it look extra special and to ensure that it looks seamless in your garden. To create a unique and natural-looking pond, we suggest that purchase stones and chippings in a wide range of sizes to go along with the Blue Slate so you can create levels and make your pond seem more textured. You can also get your hands on some aquatic plants that will go in the pond and also mesh with the greenery already present in your garden.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our Decorative Stones being a naturally-sourced product, there will always be some variation from batch to batch, especially in terms of colour. On occasion, your garden stones may be very dusty; we recommend hosing your new stones down to wash them and reveal their true colour.
Buy With Confidence
- Our 40mm Blue Slate can be purchased in 20kg maxi bags or bulk bags that weigh approx. 850kg
- Not sure how much you need? Use our quantity calculator and enter your garden width and length to find out how many maxi bags/bulk bags you need!
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add it to your basket
- Our aggregates will either arrive on a HIAB lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose a free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample stones are available in-store, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service Tailored to You
It is not required for you to be present at the time of the delivery; if we are permitted to do so, our delivery drivers can deliver bulk bags to your front garden or drive without a signature.
Alternatively, our experienced drivers can operate their lorries to deliver bulk bags over fences at the front, side or back of your property, you will need to be present for this delivery type.
If your delivery location is classed as a national delivery, your order will arrive via a third-party courier on a pallet through kerbside delivery. To find out if you're in our local or national delivery area, click here.
Please let us know if there are any access difficulties to your road or property. If your property has very tight access and we need to use a small lorry, a surcharge will apply.
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.
Related Blog Article
5 Excellent Ways To Use Rockery In Your Garden
If you want to create an oasis in your back garden with lots of texture and pops of c …