Want to spread the cost? Check out our Finance Options here!
40mm Blue Slate
The 40mm Blue Slate that we stock at Stone Zone is a much-loved Garden Slate Stone amongst landscapers and homeowners alike, for good reason. Within our ever-growing range of Decorative Stones, the 40mm Blue Slate stands out over others due to its deep eye-catching blue colour and unique shape.
As with many of our decorative stones, the colour of these blue slate stones truly appear when they are wet; allowing the colours to deepen and look extra special. As well as Welsh Slate, we also sell popular Pebbles and Chippings. Our slate stones differ to these stone types as they are a flatter shape and larger size.
Our Welsh Blue Slate, along with all the other Slate Rockery we supply, has originated from North Wales. As a result of their bigger size, at 40mm, these stones can be incorporated into your garden in various different ways; if you already have or wish to have a fish pond, you can use our Blue Slate as it is fish friendly.
Blue Slate is also available as 20mm Blue Slate and 40-75mm Paddlestones.
40mm Blue Slate Features
- Great for garden borders or features
- Best-seller for years
40mm Blue Slate for Your Garden
If you want to re-decorate your garden without spending too much time and effort on it, the 40mm Blue Slate is your best bet. You can easily brighten up your garden with these garden stones as they are great for adding more colours and shades to your garden. You will instantly notice a difference in your surroundings as your garden will look more textured and colourful.
Welsh Blue Slate is roughly 40mm in size and therefore is the perfect size for decorative garden features. However, do keep in mind that these stones cannot be used to create driveways and pathways because they are neither the correct shape nor size and will not create a stable base for walking or driving on. That does not mean you cannot use these stones in other areas of your garden, either the front garden or the back garden.
As well as a stand alone garden feature, these Welsh Slates make for an eye-catching garden border. Garden borders can be created to your specifications, being as wide or narrow as you'd like. Try pairing it with a natural garden feature, such as Turf Grass or plant borders. They also look great as a border around your house. Click here for more tips on creating a Garden Border.
Welsh Slate for a Garden Pond
Garden Ponds can make a garden seem more peaceful and tranquil, however, if yours is looking a little uninspiring, maybe consider reinvigorating it with the Blue Slate decorative stones. Adding these dark blue stones to decorate your pond with will make it seem chic and brand new. This is a cost-effective way to make your garden pond look professional. Plus, because these stones will be in and around water, you will be able to appreciate their rich colours.
The Blue Slates are lime-free, meaning they are completely safe to use around fish and other wildlife that may visit your garden. You can use the Blue Slate along with other decorative stones to create a step/tiers effect in your garden pond that will surely impress all your friends and family.
How to Buy 40mm, Blue Slate
Available Pack Sizes
20kg maxi bags
850kg bulk bags (approx weight)
You can use our Stone Calculator to work out how much of this stone you need - simply enter the measurements of your garden, the depth at which you want to lay the stone and it will work out how much you need!
How to Create a Garden Pond
If you want to design a modern, sleek garden water feature that will be a focal point in your garden without much effort being put in, or if you are looking to have a picturesque, vintage pond that will be an excellent space to gather with your friends and family, we have a helpful list filled with tips and tricks! It is a low-cost and simple project and can be achieved by those who don't have much DIY experience.
1. To start, you will have to create a basic plan for your garden to designate an area where your pond will go. You must be careful and take certain criteria into consideration. If you want to place your pond underneath a tree, you have to be prepared to constantly clean your pond and rid them of any fallen leaves and debris, this can be a time-consuming job. In our opinion, the optimal place for a pond would be a shaded spot that only gets a little bit of sunlight so the water will stay cool.
2. Once the placement of the pond has been decided, the next step is to figure out how big and deep you want the pond to be and whether you want it raised or ground level. Plastic ponds will be more than enough for the job; they are both affordable and easy to find. Once you have purchased this, place it where you want it to go and spray paint around it so you have the area mapped out exactly. On the other hand, if you have chosen for your pond to be on higher ground, then your best option would be to use Sleepers that have been lined with water-tight fabric.
3. For a ground-level pond, use a spade to dig out the exact area to the correct depth. We advise you to use Scalpings which will allow you to fill up any gaps that may be left.
4. Now comes the best part, you can add water to the pond! Solar-powered water pumps are a popular option to create a more effective water feature, with constant flowing water. Everyone loves a water fountain.
5. The last step is to design your garden to make it look extra special and to ensure that it looks seamless in your garden. To create a unique and natural-looking pond, we suggest that purchase stones and chippings in a wide range of sizes to go along with the Blue Slate so you can create levels and make your pond seem more textured. You can also get your hands on some aquatic plants that will go in the pond and also mesh with the greenery already present in your garden.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our Decorative Stones being a naturally-sourced product, there will always be some variation from batch to batch, especially in terms of colour. On occasion, your garden stones may be very dusty; we recommend hosing your new stones down to wash them and reveal their true colour.
Best Garden Ideas
Want to imagine what your dream garden could look like? With our online Garden Visualiser, now you can! You can take a photo of your garden or use one of our templates to then add 40mm Blue Slate and get an idea of what it would look like!
Buy With Confidence
- Our 40mm Blue Slate can be purchased in 20kg maxi bags or bulk bags that weigh approx. 850kg
- Not sure how much you need? Use our quantity calculator and enter your garden width and length to find out how many maxi bags/bulk bags you need!
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add it to your basket
- Our aggregates will either arrive on a HIAB lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose a free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample stones are available in-store and online, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service Tailored to You
Our top-rated delivery service is flexible and reliable to suit you, however, it can cary depending on where you live. Click here for more information on our delivery service and if your postcode is classed as 'local' or 'national.'
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.
Weedcheck Ultra Heavy Duty Weed Control Membrane, All Sizes