Want to spread the cost? Check out our Finance Options here!
20mm Blue Slate
Blue Slate is our best-selling Welsh Slate that we sell. These popular garden stones have a lovely colour to them; consisting of a dark blue colour that is close to a plum-coloured stone. These decorative stones are commonly used for garden borders and as decoration around your house.
This rustic Slate has been quarried naturally in North Wales, and has a beautiful flat, angular finish, with some rounded edges where the slate has been worn by water. This range of Blue Slate consists of 20mm pieces on average, which can make a foot-friendly pathway in your garden. Our Welsh Slate is also lime-free, making it entirely fish-friendly.
These Slate stones are also available in 40mm. Click here to learn more about 40mm Blue Slate.
20mm Blue Slate Features
- Great for garden borders or features
- Best-seller for years
20mm Blue Slate for Your Garden
There are many great uses of Blue Slate for your garden. One popular use is creating a decorative border around your house. Simply leave a 20cm space around any hard or soft landscaping, whether it's Turf or Paving, and fill this gap with beautiful Blue Slate.
20mm Blue Slate also works really well as a simple garden feature that you can admire each time you visit your garden. Perhaps you have a small front garden that you don't spend much time in, but want something eye-catching to look at; Blue Slate would be the perfect addition, it takes very little maintenance and would just require laying on Weed Membrane.
20mm Blue Slate for Commercial Use
We have supplied many different businesses with 20mm Blue Slate, including car parks, public parks and caravan parks. They make a great 'filler' for spaces that get walked on occasionally and looked at frequently. There are also some cafes that have ponds or water features in the outdoor dining area that we have supplied.
Using Blue Slate in ponds and water features is a great idea; water transforms the colours of Blue Slate decorative stones and really deepens the plum and blue shades. Whether it's going in a garden pond for you to appreciate through the water, or being added to a simple water feature, Blue Slate will liven this area up with some lovely colour. As our Welsh Blue Slate is lime-free, this makes it safe for any wildlife in your ponds.
How to Buy 20mm, Blue Slate
20kg maxi bags
850kg bulk bags (approx weight)
You can use our Stone Calculator to work out how much of this stone you need - simply enter the measurements of your garden, the depth at which you want to lay the stone and it will work out how much you need!
How to Create a Garden Pond
The trend for garden ponds is growing. Some people might enjoy a small, tidy pond in their garden, which could feature garden paving around it. Another popular trend is creating wild parts in your garden with more of a natural pond within it to encourage wildlife. If you're up for the challenge of adding your own pond in your garden, read our how-to guide below for the best tips and tricks!
1. Start by planning where you want your pond to go. Finding the best place for your pond is an important consideration. We would recommend avoiding placing your pond under trees, as you won't be able to admire what is in your pond, and it will make your pond water quite dirty! We would also recommend somewhere that gets both shade and sun throughout the day, as it can act as somewhere cool for birds to retreat to.
2. Next, decide on the size you'd like your pond to be, and where you're going to source your pond from. If you want a ground-level pond, you can buy plastic ponds from your local garden centre. If this is the case, mark the desired area with spray paint to ensure it matches the size. If you're looking at creating a raised pond, you could either use retaining Sleepers lined with a plastic sheet or even upcycle an old tyre!
3. If you're creating a ground-level pond, dig out the desired area to the correct depth. You can use Scalpings to fill in any gaps after you've added your pond.
4. Once this is done, you can start adding your water! Consider buying a plug-in or solar-powered water pump to create more of a water feature; you can even add a small water fountain to give it some oomph!
5. Lastly, think about how you'd like to decorate it. If you want it to look like a natural rockery pond, start with the larger Rockery stones like Blue Slate Rockery and then move on to small stones like Blue Slate. Purchase some water plants from your local garden centre, and you have yourself a beautiful pond!
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our Decorative Stones being a naturally-sourced product, there will always be some variation from batch to batch, especially in terms of colour. On occasion, your garden stones may be very dusty; we recommend hosing your new stones down to wash them and reveal their true colour.
Best Garden Ideas
Want to imagine what your dream garden could look like? With our online Garden Visualiser, now you can! You can take a photo of your garden or use one of our templates to then add a 20mm Blue Slate and get an idea of what it would look like!
Buy With Confidence
- Our 20mm Blue Slate can be purchased in 20kg maxi bags or bulk bags that weigh approx. 850kg
- Not sure how much you need? Use our quantity calculator and enter your garden width and length to find out how many maxi bags/bulk bags you need!
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add it to your basket
- Our aggregates will either arrive on a HIAB lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose a free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample stones are available in-store and online, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service Tailored to You
Our top-rated delivery service is flexible and reliable to suit you, however, it can vary depending on where you live. Click here for more information on our delivery service and if your postcode is classed as 'local' or 'national.'
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.