40mm Black Slate
This striking decorative garden stone is highly versatile and works very well in many different landscapes. When Black Slate is dry, it has a dark grey colour to it, which is a very popular colour amongst homes and gardens. When it is wet though, it turns a stunning, jet black colour that makes a stand-out decorative feature in your garden.
This Welsh garden slate derives from North Wales, complete with a flat surface and some soft, angular edges. Once this stone has been recycled and quarried, it is left with it's natural qualities. Black Slate is lime-free which means it is safe to use in fish ponds. Being the larger stone out of the two, these garden stones consist of 40mm stones on average.
40mm Black Slate for Your Garden
As aforementioned, Black Slate is highly versatile which can make some really beautiful garden features. You could put Black Slate around Garden Paving to break two different landscape types up. Due to its black colour, it will easily match any colour scheme you currently have. People also like using it as a plant topper, which aids some drainage of rain water to filter through to their plants, as well as looking amazing!
Another popular use of Black Slate is using it as a decorative feature in your front garden. These decorative garden stones could border your pathway leading to your front door, it could simply act as a border around the front of your home, or you could use it as a pathway that leads to your house. These slate stones are safe to walk on, but we wouldn't recommend it for driveways.
40mm Black Slate as a Water Feature
If you've currently got a water feature in your garden, why not consider adding some decorative stones to it to enhance the look and feel of it? Sometimes water features can feel like they're missing something, and all it takes is a couple of bags of Black Slate to complete the look and 'naturalise' it. Black Slate also looks much better when immersed in water!
Many people are also starting to add ponds to their garden as a form of landscape decoration, as well as something for wildlife to enjoy. Black Slate is completely safe to use in garden ponds, due to being lime-free, so you could add these garden stones to your pond with confidence. It also looks lovely when placed around the edges of your garden pond too.
How to Buy 40mm Black Slate
You can use our Stone Calculator to work out how much of this stone you need - simply enter the measurements of your garden, the depth at which you want to lay the stone and it will work out how much you need!
Available Pack Sizes
20kg maxi bags
850kg bulk bags
How to Create a Garden Pond
Garden ponds are hugely beneficial in so many ways; they're meant to be great for your mental health, having something natural to look at and listen to while you're in the garden. They're also great for wildlife; providing a drink for birds as well as somewhere for frogs and other small animals to live. If you're up for the challenge of adding your own pond in your garden, read our how-to guide below for the best tips and tricks!
1. Firstly, you need to decide where your pond is best placed in your garden. There are a few things to consider; if there are a few trees in your garden, we would avoid placing it under these trees, unless you want a pond cover to ensure the leaves aren't constantly landing in the pond, contaminating the water. We would also recommend somewhere that gets a fair amount of shade, so birds can use your pond to cool down in the summer.
2. Secondly, how big or small do you want your pond to be? Also, where are you going to buy your pond from? Or are you going to upcycle it? You can usually source plastic pre-made ponds from your local garden centre for raised ponds or ground level ponds. If you're looking at creating a raised pond, you could either use retaining Sleepers lined with a plastic sheet, or even upcycle an old tyre! Whatever you decide on, use spray paint to mark the desired area.
3. Thirdly, if you're creating a ground level pond, dig out the desired area to the correct depth. You can use Scalpings to fill in any gaps after you've added your pond.
4. This is the fun part where you can add your water! People have also bought water pumps that are solar-powered to create more of a water feature; you can even add a small water fountain to give it the wow-factor!
5. And last but not least, have a think about how you want to decorate your pond; it's the finishing touches that really set it off! This is where Black Slate comes in, you can sprinkle these stones all around your pond so it blends in and looks more natural. For a rockery, consider buying some larger Rockery and Boulders.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to our Decorative Stones being a naturally-sourced product, there will always be some variation from batch to batch, especially in terms of colour. On occasion, your garden stones may be very dusty; we recommend hosing your new stones down to wash them and reveal their true colour.
Buy With Confidence
- Our 40mm Black Slate can be purchased in 20kg maxi bags or bulk bags that weigh approx. 850kg
- Not sure how much you need? Use our quantity calculator and enter your garden width and length to find out how many maxi bags/bulk bags you need!
- Please select the bag size you'd like to buy and add to your basket
- Our aggregates will either arrive on a hiab lorry that can be used to lift the stone onto your garden, or it will arrive on a pallet for kerbside delivery; depending on your address
- You can choose free collection from one of our Depots or fuss-free, home delivery.
A Service You Can Rely On
- Our reliable service offers prompt delivery to any area in the UK
- Stone Zone is a family-run business that has been well-established since 1998
- Our efficient customer advisors can help you with your purchase
- We pride ourselves on offering a range of affordable garden supplies
Sample stones are available in-store, please ask a customer advisor.
A Delivery Service Tailored to You
You don't need to be there for delivery; if you're happy to do so, our delivery drivers can deliver bulk bags to your front garden or drive without a signature.
Alternatively, our experienced drivers can operate their lorries to deliver bulk bags over fences at the front, side or back of your property, you will need to be present for this delivery type.
If you're delivery location is classed as a national delivery, your order will arrive via a third party courier on a pallet through kerbside delivery. To find out if you're in our local or national delivery area, click here.
Please let us know if there are any access difficulties to your road or property. If your property has very tight access and we need to use a small lorry, a surcharge will apply.
Any questions? Use our live chat to speak to an advisor, alternatively, you can fill out an enquiry form or call us on 01202 874207.